Everyone loves ringing in New Year’s Eve with family and friends, but the common complaints are that event spaces charge too much, throwing parties in the home become costly because of the alcohol and food catering, airfare increases in price, and holiday spending becomes over the top. Don’t let expenses rain on your parade! There are many fun, affordable ways you can save money and have a good time on New Year’s Eve!
5 Inexpensive (and awesome) Activities:
1) Host a casual house party and ask guests to bring their favorite drink or side dish.
2) Throw a creative theme into the house party such as wearing “pajamas” or coming as a favorite movie character so no one has to buy an expensive outfit.
3) Check out the Lincoln Park Zoo Lights and Free Party Favors (4:30-9p) – Celebrate New Year’s Eve at the most illuminating light display in Chicago! Bring the whole family and wear festive hats, horns and party favors to get into the spirit.
4) Enjoy Navy Pier’s breathtaking fireworks show over Lake Michigan! Miller Lite sponsors the show on Sunday, December 31, from 12:00 am – 12:15 am. It is suggested to arrive several hours before to grab a good spot.
5) Take the family to the Fifth Third Bank Winter WonderFest –This indoor playground is packed with fun featuring 170,000 square feet of rides, giant slides, and the Chicago Blackhawks Ice Skating Rink. Get tickets here!
Lots of possibilities depending on your budget but remember safety is the first priority.
If you’re planning a night of celebrating, have a designated driver or plan a ride with Uber or Lyft ahead of time. Eat something before heading out for the evening. Snack while drinking. Alternate alcoholic beverages with water. Never leave your drink unattended!